Automated testing refers to the use of software for running test cases to detect flaws in a system. It increases the test coverage and saves time by minimising the need for human intervention. For successful test automation, it is important to choose a suitable framework. A testing framework basically includes a set of concepts, assumptions and practices which forms a support for automated testing. It is responsible for executing the tests and ultimately reporting the results. Automation tools provide the environment for executing automated tests. These tests make the whole testing process more efficient and cost-effective.
The top 8 easy-to-use automation tools are:
Selenium is a portable software testing tool utilised for testing web applications across different browsers and operating systems. Selenium has become a core framework for other test automation tools as well. The tests can be written in a variety of programming languages including PHP, JAVA, C#, Groovy, Python, Perl and Ruby. Some of the distinctive attributes of Selenium are:
- Efficient cross-browser testing facility using multiple browsers such as Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer etc
- Trouble- free integration of Selenium with tools like Maven, Jenkins & Docker for uninterrupted testing
- Disadvantage: It can only test web applications; it is not possible to use Selenium to test desktop applications
This is an automation tool that has a code-less architecture by Cygnet Infotech, thus it allows building test cases easily without involving programming skills. It is an intuitive tool that can be used for functional web UI testing, regression testing, database testing, cross browser testing and distributed test execution.
The key features of TestingWhiz are:
- Inbuilt test data tables
- Integrating capacity with bug tracking tools such as Atlassian JIRA, Fog Creek Fogbugz and Mantis; alongside incorporating test management tools like HP Quality Center
- Complete application for testing by using connectors eg MS-SQL, Oracle and My SQL
- Allowance of customisation of scripts, reports and UI into a language of consumer’s choice (English, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and German)
- FAST Object Recorder
3. Unified Functional Testing – UFT
UFT is an automation tool for functional testing and regression testing. UFT enables API, GUI and browser testing of desktop, mobile and web applications across a variety of platforms. It uses Visual Basic Scripting Edition to register the testing processes and various object controls for testing the application.
The salient features of Unified Functional Testing are:
- Image-based object recognition
- Automated documentation
- Reusable test components
- Integration with tools including Mercury Quality Center and Mercury Business Process Testing
- Error handling features
- Playback view as an animation
- Enables GUI testing
- Enables continuous testing
- Supports custom plugins and extensions
- Allows conversion of functional tests to performance tests through integration with LoadComplete
5. Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is a powerful automation tool for mobile applications, web applications and services. It can generate test scripts automatically with built-in keywords. It supports Java and Groovy scripting languages and can run test cases by using multiple configurations and data sets. Key features of Katalon Studio are:
- Well equipped with record and playback capability
- Smooth integration with qTest, Jenkins, Jira and Git
- Easy export of test result reports to CSV and pdf
- Contains built-in project templates
Watir is an open-source testing tool for automating web application testing based on Ruby libraries. It supports cross-browser testing using multiple browsers including Google Chrome, Opera and Firefox.
Organizations using Watir
Eggplant is an image-based automation tool for functional testing. It allows testers to interact with the Application Under Test (AUT) just as the users would do, unlike other tools which follow an object-based approach. Its flexible licensing option makes it an attractive option for testing individuals and teams alike.
Organizations using Eggplant
8. Tricentis Tosca
Tricentis Tosca is a model-based automation tool used for performing functional and regression testing. Tricentis Tosca can be used for testing mobile and web applications and APIs. It also helps in optimising the re-usability of test assets. The main characteristics of Tricentis Tosca are:
- Supports features for risk analysis, integration management and distributed execution
- Provides facilitation through dashboard and analytics for continuous testing
- Allows business dynamics steering
Compared to manual testing, automation makes testing a less-time consuming process. All the automation tools discussed in this blog include useful features that make them easy-to-use, resulting in efficient, cost-effective testing procedures These tools help with the quick and easy creation/execution of test cases. It is important to understand the requirements and limitations of your project in order for you to select the best automation tool for your software testing needs.